Dubai Gold Souk
Dubai is one of the most important and of one the well known shopping destinations in the world. People from all over the world come to Dubai for shopping, especially for buying gold and diamond jewellery. Do you know why people throng to Dubai to buy gold? The low import duties and the no-tax policy make Dubai the cheapest place in the whole world to buy gold. Dubai is famous throughout the world as the international gold hub and not merely as the gold hub of the Middle East.
Dubai is regarded as the city of gold and you will find that are about 800 jewellery shops and 300 gold souks here. The Dubai Gold Souk is one of the highlights of the emirate's tourism and it is a must-see tourist destination. If you have come to Dubai to buy gold and gold jewellery, do not go in search of any shop or a shopping mall, but head straight to the Dubai Gold Souk.
Souk is an Arabic word which means a market place or place where exchange of goods take place. The Souk is a traditional market place, and in the older days ships brought in goods from all over the world and in return would take back gold, silks, perfumes, and spices. Though most of the traditional souks have made way for multi-storey air-conditioned malls, some of the souks are still to be seen, though a bit modernized.
Enter Dubai’s Gold Souk and walk down the narrow streets which are lined with shops full of glittering gold ornaments. You can see the shop windows tightly crammed with all types of 22 and 24 carat gold jewellery - gold necklaces, earrings, pendants, bracelets, long chains, and bangles.
There are a few things that you should know before you set foot into a gold souk:
* Know your gold. You should be able to differentiate between 18, 22, and 24 carat gold. It is most essential that you know this.
* Keep a track of the gold price which keeps changing every day.
* Decide what you would like to buy and what is the amount that you are going to spend on buying jewellery. Learn to convert money from your currency to AED.
* Go to respected and reputed shops and do not deal with people who accost you on the streets.
* Make it a point to bargain - bargaining is an essential part of the Dubai tradition. You will find that through bargaining you can bring down the prices by almost 30-40%.
The best thing about Dubai Gold Souk is that you can get genuine gold at an extremely low price. Bargaining or haggling is something common that takes place at all the shops in the souk. So do not hesitate or be afraid to bargain, for if you do not bargain you stand to lose. You can make purchases by using your credit card or debit card, but if you would like a real bargain it is best to close your transaction through a cash settlement.
Well, happy shopping!